Designer’s Notes: It’s an Encounter!

This article was such a struggle to write. I was dealing with personal problems at the time, and the timeline to write it was abou 13 days (fully revised and edited). I’ve worked with more difficult deadlines and projects, but other factors were not in play at the time. I knew what I wanted, but I couldn’t formulate it in a way I wanted. I changed my outline twice from the intiatial outline before words began to appear on paper. To say this was frustrating is putting it mildly. Each day was a climb up Mount Neverest just to get to the right word mine. But eventually (and with some help) I got things in order and even managed to turn my copy in a few days in advance of my original deadline. I was particularly proud of this because somewhere in the middle I asked for a few more days since I was unsure of how things were going to turn out.

I really wanted to add more encounter tables and a few other bells and whistles to make this even out – but I simply did not have the space. In fact, the pre-generated tables were excised from my second version simply because I needed to be within a particular word count, but were added back in by Steven. I’d sent them along in a separate file if he wanted to add them back in. I guess he did. Overall, I like how it turned out, I just didn’t like the round to actually get there. Writing should never be a struggle like that and I was intensely relieved when I started my next article and found that such struggles were not endemic of my work, but rather that one piece and all of its circling factors.

All in all it took me about 80 hours to write, 30 hours to edit, 5 hours worth of research (checking to ensure all monsters listed in the DFRPG were in it), and 50 hours of revision. I spent a further 2 hours looking over the preliminary PDF for any issues and revising.

Posted in Designer's Notes and tagged , , , .

One Comment

  1. Pingback: GURPSDay Summary Aug 3, 2018 – Aug 9, 2018 - Gaming Ballistic

Leave a Reply