A classic Dungeons and Dragons spell converted to use with my new Dungeon Fantasy book: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic.
Spell Effects: Create Elementalism x 3.
Inherent Modifiers: Afflictions, Blindness; Beam Effect (see below); Bestows a Penalty, Resistance rolls to this spell.
Skill Penalty: Path of Elementalism‑20.
Casting Time: 30 minutes.
This spell conjures a rainbow colored 5-yard-wide x 20-yard-long cone that randomly affects everyone within the area (see Area and Spreading Effects, p. B413). This requires a HT roll at -5 or the subject is blinded for 3d seconds and those affected suffer a random effect unless another roll is made. Roll 1d, 1d, 1d to determine the effects:
- Red Beam (1-3, 1-3, 1-3): 3d burning damage; may start fires; DX roll at -5 to avoid.
- Orange Beam (1-3, 1-3, 4-6): 6d corrosion damage; DX roll at -5 to avoid.
- Yellow Beam (1-3, 4-6, 1-3): 9d burning surge damage; treats metal DR as DR 1 regardless of actual protection; DX roll at -5 to avoid.
- Green Beam (1-3, 4-6, 4-6): 12d toxic damage; HT roll at -5 to avoid; Make another [I]HT[/I] at -1 per point of damage taken. Failure by 5 or more (or a critical failure) results in the character suffering a Heart Attack (p. B429).
- Blue Beam (4-6, 1-3, 1-3): HT roll at -5 or be turned to stone permanently.
- Indigo Beam (4-6, 1-3, 4-6): Will roll at -5 or start Hallucinating (p. B429).
- Violet Beam (4-6, 4-6, 1-3): Will roll -5 or fall unconscious.
- Two Beams (4-6, 4-6, 4-6): Reroll twice, ignore this result if rolled again.
Typical Casting*: Create Elementalism (6) + Create Elementalism (6) + Create Elementalism (6) + Afflictions, Blindness (10) + Beam Effect† (161) + Bestows a Penalty, -5 to rolls to resist this spell (16); Duration, 10 seconds (1). 206 SP.
* Being based on Will, HT, or DX increase adds another two effects for the purposes of casting time (depending on the effect), but being a visual effect and allowing separate instances of resistance reduces this by two, so casting time is unchanged.
† Each beam is treated as an “alternate effect” of the other. This adds an additional cost equal to one-fifth of the effect and modifiers needed (round up), but counts as only one effect. If you can use multiple effects at the same time, use the full cost of the two most expensive Spell Effects and one-fifth of the others. Being random per hit is a special effect trading a Ready maneuver for the random effect. Each beam is as follows:
- Red Beam: Damage, 3d External Burning (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%) (16).
- Orange Beam: Damage, 6d External Corrosion (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%) (24).
- Yellow Beam: Damage, 9d External Burning (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%; Surge, Arcing, +100%) (52).
- Green Beam: Damage, 12d External Toxic (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%; Side Effect, Secondary Heart Attack, +110%) (50).
- Blue Beam: Afflictions, Petrification (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%) (76).
- Indigo Beam: Afflictions, Hallucinating (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%) (26).
- Violet Beam: Afflictions, Unconscious (Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Reduced Range, ¥1/5, ‑20%) (36).
How the Heck Do I Cast This Thing?!
First, you need a +10 Grimoire for Rainbow Spray ($1,200, 12 lbs.), Fine ingredients ($300, 3 lbs.), and access to an fine-quality lab ($600/week). This grants a total of +15 to cast reducing the penalty to a mere -5. Even then, you could purchase Methodical Ritual for 1 point and or Rote Invocation (2 points for the first level and 1 point per level thereafter to reduce the penalty). Going the first route it would take 12 hours to prepare the spell, but reduce the penalty to -1. So for $2,100 an incanter could have a powerful spell of last resort. It should be noted that the Grimoire is a one time expense, but the ingredients and lab are per spell cast (or a caster could prepare several Rainbow Spray spells at once and just buy ingredients). As a power-up, for Rote Invocation this would cost 25 points or if paired with Methodical Ritual 22 points.